Daniele International LLC Recalls Ready-to-Eat Sausage Products Due to Possible Listeria Contamination
Editor's note: February 13, 2023 - This recall release has been updated to reflect a correction to the product’s weight description from “1-lb. plastic tray of DEL DUCA CALABRESE, PROSCIUTTO & COPPA” to “6-oz. plastic tray of DEL DUCA CALABRESE, PROSCIUTTO & COPPA.”
Editor's note: February 3, 2023 - This recall release has been updated to include increased total poundage of the product recalled from 52,914 to approximately 69,255 pounds. Additional sell-by dates for three of the impacted products have also been added.
Editor's note: On February 1, 2023, FSIS revised the recall release to update the sell by dates of "COLAMECO'S PRIMO NATURALE GENOA UNCURED SALAMI" and "COLAMECO'S PRIMO NATURALE BLACK PEPPER UNCURED SALAMI."
WASHINGTON, Jan. 29, 2023 - Daniele International LLC, a Mapleville, R.I., establishment, is recalling approximately 69,255 pounds of ready-to-eat (RTE) sausage products that may be adulterated with Listeria monocytogenes, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
The RTE sausage products were produced on various dates from May 23, 2022, through November 25, 2022, and shipped to retail locations nationwide on various dates from December 23, 2022, through January 17, 2023. The following products are subject to recall [view labels]:
- 6-oz. plastic tray of "FREDERIK'S by meijer SPANISH STYLE charcuterie sampler tray" with sell by date 4/15/23.
- 6-oz. plastic tray of "Boar's Head CHARCUTUERIE TRIO" with sell by dates 4/13/23, 4/14/23, and 4/15/23.
- 7-oz. plastic tray of "COLAMECO'S PRIMO NATURALE GENOA UNCURED SALAMI" with sell by dates 12/22/23, 12/30/23, and 1/17/24.
- 7-oz. plastic tray of "COLAMECO'S PRIMO NATURALE BLACK PEPPER UNCURED SALAMI" with sell by date 12/23/23.
- 1-lb. plastic tray of "DEL DUCA SOPRESSATA, COPPA & GENOA SALAMI" with sell by dates 4/13/23, 4/14/23, 5/03/23, and 5/04/23.
- 6-oz. plastic tray of "DEL DUCA CALABRESE, PROSCIUTTO & COPPA" with sell by dates 5/6/23 and 5/13/23.
- 1-lb. plastic tray of "DEL DUCA GENOA SALAMI, UNCURED PEPPERONI & HARD SALAMI" with use by dates 3/25/23, 3/26/23, and 5/4/23.
- 12-oz. plastic tray of "Gourmet Selection SOPRESSATA, CAPOCOLLO, HARD SALAME" with sell by date 4/14/23.
The products subject to recall bear establishment number "EST. 54" inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items were shipped to retail locations nationwide.
FSIS discovered the problem during routine inspection activities where Listeria monocytogenes was found on surfaces in which the product came into contact.
There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.
Consumption of food contaminated with L. monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, a serious infection that primarily affects older adults, persons with weakened immune systems, and pregnant women and their newborns. Less commonly, persons outside these risk groups are affected.
Listeriosis can cause fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions sometimes preceded by diarrhea or other gastrointestinal symptoms. An invasive infection spreads beyond the gastrointestinal tract. In pregnant women, the infection can cause miscarriages, stillbirths, premature delivery or life-threatening infection of the newborn. In addition, serious and sometimes fatal infections in older adults and persons with weakened immune systems. Listeriosis is treated with antibiotics. Persons in the higher-risk categories who experience flu-like symptoms within two months after eating contaminated food should seek medical care and tell the health care provider about eating the contaminated food.
FSIS is concerned that some product may be in consumers' refrigerators. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be posted on the FSIS website at www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls.